Saturday, November 16, 2013

jingerbread ranch has moved to Nevada...

Surprise! Here it is 16 months since my last post. Forgive me, (father, for I have sinned...just couldn't resist), but a lot has happened in my life these past months, and it has been very hard for me to get back into the normal daily routine that my life was before the night of August 28, 2012. A horrible fire swept through our mountain community and decimated 14 homes and 20 outbuildings. Our home was the second to go up in flames. My s/o and I barely got out...we could see the fire as we drove up our driveway. No one came to tell us to evacuate, we knew we were in trouble. We packed a few meager possessions (we WERE coming back to a whole house), and away we went, following the other evacuees off the mountain.There is a longer version to this story, so I will leave most of it out, as it would take days to tell it. The shorter version is...we lost our beautiful log home of 17 years, 22 acres of trees, and all our possessions except was what in our duffle bags. Nothing we could do...fire is an unmerciful beast, and all you can do is get out of its way...
   Fast forward to today...November 16, 2013...we decided not to rebuild in Montana, and headed for our "snowbird" state of Nevada to rebuild. Making new memories in our single-story 3BR,2Bath home. It isn't 22 acres, but we've lucked out with some very nice neighbors, and life goes on.

   Not going to try and catch you (or me) up on this past year-and-a-half, but rather start from today and go forward. This is the first time I've felt that I could put words down as my grief for us and others who have lost has been great. I thank God every day for his love, and the kindness of friends and family who have touched us with their compassion and sympathy. Also, those who shared their material possessions with us, homes, money, gifts, etc., in our time of need. You know who you are, and I am grateful.

Anyway, this has gone on long enough. Today is a new day, and my normal routine is somewhat like my other...only I'm doing it in the desert! It is still hot here, gardening season is just starting, and I am planting! Vegetables, herbs, and flowers. There is no grass here, so everything is done in raised beds. I have a 25 x 4.5 foot organic garden, and a smaller flower/herb garden. This is my first season here so everything is pretty much experimental from this point. I hope to write about my gardening adventures as well as other new projects/hobbies I have taken up(and the old ones). So...tomorrow is another day for another story...

    

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on a new beginning for you and family. Good to see you post again . I will be watching for any new news from you maybe some of the crafty things you do you can post again. Oh happy days are returning. yippee
    Hugs patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you can see that I am way behind on my blog watching, lol. Glad you are settling in.

    ReplyDelete